Company | MP Lighting
– Environmental Q & A
In an effort to promote environmental responsibility, we have compiled a list of
frequently asked questions to help our customers better understand our products
and manufacturing process. We believe in taking small steps to reduce our carbon
footprint and we hope our products will help customers conserve energy and save
money. For more information, please see the MP Lighting Environmental Statement
or contact us at 604-708-1184.
- Are MP Lighting products made with recycled-content material?
Yes—The aluminum that is used in MP products contains 10% post consumer aluminum,
30% prime aluminum, and 60% pre-consumer aluminum.
- What materials are used in MP Lighting products? Can they be recycled?
The most common materials used in MP Lighting products are aluminum, brass, steel,
glass and ceramic, all of which can be recyclable at the end of the product's life.
- Does the manufacturing of MP Lighting products meet the Canadian Environmental Protection
Act's (CEPA) requirements for Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) content?
Yes— MP Lighting's manufacturing and packaging process requires little use
of VOC containing material. Production employees wear protective clothing, including
lab coats, gloves and masks to protect themselves from harmful chemical emissions,
such as VOCs.
The emissions of VOCs come from solvents used in commercial products, which contributes
to ground level ozone and particulate matter. These substances are two of the main
ingredients in smog, which is associated with various health risks. By reducing
and virtually eliminating our use of VOC's we can provide a safer and healthier
working environment for our employees.
- Is MP Lighting RoHS compliant?
Yes—MP Lighting products do not contain hazardous substances, as indicated
by the RoHS, above the maximum concentration values (see chart). We use lead-free
solder and specialize in the production of LED fixtures, which contain no mercury
or other harmful substances.
(Polybrominated Diphenyl Ether)
Max. Level of Concentration
- Are there other harmful substances that are present in MP Lighting products
and/or during the manufacturing process?
No—The following list shows substances that are not used in MP products or
- Chlorinated Polyethylene and Chlorosulfonated
- Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs)
- Chloroprene (Neoprene)
- Halogenated Flame Retardants
- Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs)
- Petrochemicals Fertilizers and Pesticides
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
- Has MP Lighting taken advantage of renewable energy sources during the manufacturing
Yes—Our facility features glass walls and large windows to maximize the use
of natural daylight. Our manufacturing equipment is also regularly cleaned and inspected
to ensure maximum performance, resulting in no wasted energy.
- Are there any programs to facilitate the return and recycling of MP products at
the end of their life?
No—There are no programs in place but MP Lighting has taken steps to address
this issue. We communicate to our customers that MP Lighting product parts can be
recycled at the end of the products life and we encourage them to do so. In the
future, we hope to have a program to facilitate the recycling of LED chips.
- Is the product packaging used at MP Lighting environmentally friendly?
- Yes—At MP Lighting we have taken steps to reduce the amount of product packaging
by using more sustainable alternatives. We encourage our customers to recycle or
reuse product packaging as much as possible.
- Our products are shipped in boxes that are printed with water based non-toxic inks
and are made with approximately 60% recovered fibers.
- We use Instapak® Foam Packaging that can be reused for future shipments, used
in municipal waste-to-energy facilities, or returned to a Sealed Air location for
- We use Airspeed™ Smart™ Inflatable Packaging which is 100% recyclable
- We also use biodegradable peanuts made from corn starch as loose fill, which can
be reused, dissolved in water or composted, leaving no toxic residue.
- Excess cardboard and paper products are also recycled on a weekly basis.
- Does MP Lighting have a corporate environmental statement?
Yes—Our environmental statement can be found on our website at www.mplighting.com/company/sustainability. If you require more
information regarding our products or practices, please call us at 604-708-1184.
- What other characteristics make your products environmentally friendly?
All of our products are meant to withstand a long product life and are designed
using the latest technology with high-quality, energy-efficient lamps. Specifically,
our LED product line possesses many positive environmental qualities to help solve
sustainability problems. They have a long product life, produce a higher lumen output
using less energy, and help reduce mercury* and CO2
*(The LED itself contains no mercury)